Course Packaging is an optional module that allows you to 'bundle' registrations. A course package consists of a 'parent' course and 'child' courses that are the actual courses the user will be taking if they enroll in the package.
- Package Types - There are 2 types of Packages. Please see the Package Type section for more information.
- Not Supported - Optional Fees*, Workshops, and Coupon Codes are not supported on Package or Child course enrollment via ACEweb.
*Note: Mandatory fees will NOT be assessed to child courses unless you enable that option in Student Manager preferences. To enable the option in ACEweb, enter EMFPKG (Enforce Mandatory Fees on Packages) in the AltSettings INI setting.
Mandatory fees on mother courses will be handled per the EnforceMandFees INI setting.
- Existing Registrations - Existing registrations will NOT be updated if you add/remove Child Courses after users are registered in the Package. You must manually add/remove the existing registrants from the Child Courses.
Transferring Packages - You cannot transfer a person from one package to another, or transfer a package to another person. You can only cancel the package registrations. See Canceling a Package section for more information.
The Course Packaging module requires additional files for both Student Manager and ACEweb. Please contact your ACEware technician for installation files/instructions.
There are 2 types of Course Packages:
- Package1 - all fees are set up on the 'parent' course. Fee associated with the 'child' courses will not be assessed when enrolling individuals in the package. A registration record of the student in the 'parent' course will be saved. Fees are assessed, and payments made to the 'parent' course registration.
- Package2 - no fees are set up on the 'parent' course. You will set the package rate (typically a discounted rate) on each 'child' course, and those will be assessed when enrolling individuals in the package. No registration records are saved to the 'parent' course.
Note: 'child' courses under both package types may contain other fees are available any other registration access you make available.
The Parent course is the course in which you will enroll students who want to take the 'package' of courses.
- Add a new course.
- Set course type to Package1 or Package2 (see Package Type section for more information about Package type).
- Enter remaining course data (title, etc.) then save the new course record.
Package courses do require dates. We suggest you enter the date the first class in the package begins in the Begin Date field, manually enter the date the last course ends in the End Date field. Then enter a message such as Individual Course Dates/Times Apply in the Course Time field.
Prior to adding fees to your package courses, we recommend creating a fee description to use for all 'child' courses. I.e. this will be the description for the discounted rate individuals will receive when enrolling in the package. Fee descriptions are added from Module > Codes, then selecting FEES: Course Main Fee Descriptions from the Code Type list.
- Package1 Type - fees are added to the 'parent' course.
However, all 'child' courses must have a fee with the amount set to 0.00 and the desired fee description. If using ACEweb, you will also want to hide the package rate fee from the web. E.g.:
- Package2 Type - no fees are added to the 'parent' course. Instead each 'child' course has a fee with the desired discounted amount and fee description. If using ACEweb, you will also want to hide the package rate fee from the web. E.g.:
Default Fee Description
If you are using the same fee description for all 'child' fees, you may set it as the Default Package Registration Fee description in Registration Preferences (Package Registration Fee in lower right).
When adding 'child' courses to the package (next step), the default fee will be pre-selected.
- Open the Parent course record and click the Package Courses button.
- The Packaged Courses window opens. Click the Add button to add a Child course.
- Select the Child course from the Find Course window.
- The Child Course Fees window opens next. Select the fee to be assessed to the Child course. Note: if you set the default Package Registration Fee (on Registration Preferences) --AND-- you have that fee set up on the 'child' course (as a Main fee), it will be pre-selected for you.
- The course is added to the Packaged Courses list. E.g. the following is an example of a 'child' course added to a Package1 type:
- Repeat steps 2-4 until all Child courses have been added.
Note: to view a child course record, right-click the course in the Packaged Courses listing.
To delete a course from the Packaged Courses window, double-click the course you want to delete.
- Enroll the individual in the Parent course.
- The individual will be automatically enrolled in all Child courses with the appropriate fees assessed.
- You can now continue the registration process (i.e. make a payment, print a receipt).
- Package1 Type: the individual IS enrolled in the Parent course and all Child courses. Fees will be assessed to the Parent course. If the child courses have mandatory fees, they will be assessed to the child course.
- Package2 Type: the individual IS NOT enrolled in the Parent course. Fees are assessed to each individual Child course (as set when adding courses in step 4 of Adding Child Courses section).
- Both Options: if the individual is already enrolled in one of the Child courses, they will not be re-enrolled in it. You will receive notification if someone is already enrolled in one of the Child courses:
When users enroll via ACEweb, they will see the individual courses in the package on the Cart.
Once the package is added to their Cart, they can remove the Package but not the individual courses:
Online Enrollment Notes
- To change the sort order of courses in a package, modify this line located on package1.awp:
<WW:WWWEBHIDDENFIELD ID="listOrder" Text="cocrsenm" runat='server' />
- If any of the child courses are full, the user will not be able to enroll in the package:
- If the user is already enrolled in any of the child courses, they will not be able to enroll in the package:
- If the user has not met child course prerequisites, they will not be able to enroll in the package:
Package Type 1
- Open the Parent registration record.
- Check the Cancel box.
- You will be asked if you want to clear all CEUs, Hours, Credits, and Grades. Click Yes to clear them.
- If you have the optional Attendance Tracking module, you will be asked if you want to delete attendance records. Click Yes to delete them.
- You will be asked if you want to cancel the child course registrations. Click Yes to cancel the child courses as well as the parent course.
- The system will notify you that it also canceled the child courses:
- Click the Save button to save your changes.
After canceling the type 1 package, you can click the Payments button and transfer the money to Escrow or to another registration.
Package Type 2
You can use the PACKAGES() function to display a list of Child courses in the course package (as set on the Parent course-see Adding Child Courses section).